Sunday 16 August 2015

s2s yesterday on Y Garn GW/NW-037



s2s yesterday on Y Garn GW/NW-037

15/08/2015

As I have a few activations lined up over the next couple of days this is only an interim report on our activation of GW/NW-037 yesterday....my log is already up on the SOTA database.

It never ceases to amaze and exite me when I’m able to get a contact with another activator on another summit and yesterday was no exception as it’s always difficult to get the timing right as to arrival, activation times, conditions on the summit and band conditions. I had three s2s targets today which included Barry M0IML/p (G/SE-015 Cheriton Hill), Jack GM4COX/p (GM/SS-037 Hart Fell) and David M0YDH/p. Now I knew that David was heading for Scafell Pike G/LD-001 as he had alerted around the same time as I had so would we be able to get that contact knowing that he had quite a climb to the top? The wonders of modern technology(mobile phone) has enabled us to keep in contact and so it was today with a text from him saying that he was at 500m and as I was half way up Y Garn it looked like we would succeed provided nothing was ‘in the way’ for a 2m contact.
It happened and David was the first in my log and a few Welsh words were exchanged to celebrate. Barry duly followed on 60m with Jack a little later...thanks guys :)
11:48z
M0YDH/P
144MHz
FM
David s2s
GW4VPX/p on Y Garn
 11:51z
M0IML/P
5MHz
SSB
Barry s2s
11:59z
GM4COX/P
5MHz
SSB
Jack s2s
It’s the unexpected ones that that are really thrilling and when Don G0RQL gave me the ‘heads up’ that Andrew G4AFI/p (G/SC-013 Nine Barrow Down) was on 40m and my chasers had dried up on 60m you can imagine that a made a quick link change...thanks Don and Andrew.
12:11z
G4AFI/P
7MHz
SSB
Andrew s2s
My run on 40m came to an end and 2m was my centre of attention for a few minutes with another batch of unexpected s2s  with Ryan on GW/SW-007 Fan Nedd and Alastair on G/WB-009 Worcestershire Beacon...thanks both
12:52z
MW6MMI/P
144MHz
FM
Ryan s2s
12:54z
M0TYM/P
144MHz
FM
Alastair s2s

The Mawddach estuary from Y Garn
Now he seems to be making a habit of it these days but up pops John MW0XOT/p from GW/SW-006 Fan Gyhirych and my final s2s of the day.thanks John..I think you were as surprised as I was for this one :) I did get another call from Chris who was operating GB2LSH Strumble Head Lighthouse)asking if I could accept a greetings message from Jenson(11 years old)  and his mother Diana...of course  and I hope my SOTA presentation and description of where I was will attract another young person into the hobby...also well done Chris (GW7HAE) for putting on the station on your own.
13:36z
MW0XOT/P
144MHz
FM
John s2s
13:39z
GB2LSH
144MHz
FM
Chris
 Mawddach estuary and the Rhinogs
Now over the years I have participated in quite a few hill top activations but it must have been a real thrill for those in the early days of SOTA to get an s2s. We don’t know how lucky we are these days with our mobile phones, SOTA apps and dedicated Internet sites but for me it’s still a thrill to hear the call ‘Summit to Summit’.
 
Thanks everyone for the contacts (69 in total)...full report mid-week but in the meantime I hope to hear some of you over the next few days provided the bands are in reasonable shape.

73 Allan GW4VPX



No comments:

Post a Comment