Saturday 1 August 2015

GW/NW-018 Moel Llyfnant



A few minor problems today

GW/NW-018  Moel Llyfnant

30/07/2015

Another fine day forecast and Val and I made the trip up to North Wales to ‘tick off’ another NW summit. Now I had sussed out the route up to Moel Llyfnant and after confirmation from Barry M0IML  that my intended route was viable we parked the car at SH8058 3848 (entrance to Nant Ddu – leave room for agricultural vehicles) and  set off on what was to be a very pleasant walk to the summit.   
 Leave plenty of room for agricultural vehicles...only room for one car I should think
Follow the winding track towards the forestry..Moel Llyfnant distant centre
My GPS track..now uploaded to SOTA mapping project
Turn left here
Approaching the forestry section
Arenig Fawr to the left on the way up..been there, done that
An unsurfaced road leads all the way to the derelict farm house of Amnodd-bwll  then turns sharp right to take you a considerable distance up to the summit. Where it ends you need to take to the moorland and make a steep direct ascent to the summit cairn.
Amnodd-bwll (derelict)
 It was cold on top but the sun kept peeping out through the broken cloud so it was quite pleasant having set up behind some large rocks out of the wind.   
Approaching the summit 


Snowdon range in the distance
Plenty of room for HF up on top although surprisingly we did have a few visitors. I kicked off with a visit to 60m, without being able to spot myself....no sign of a signal on my phone. Thankfully Phil G3YPQ picked up my call even though I had knocked the dial off-frequency. Phil spotted me after a frequency correction and I was away...thanks Phil.

11:36z
G3YPQ
5MHz
SSB
Phil IO70sf
11:39z
G3TXL
5MHz
SSB
Angus
11:41z
GW6OVD
5MHz
SSB
Mal
11:43z
G8MIA
5MHz
SSB
Andy
11:45z
GM3TAY/P
5MHz
SSB
Alan- Isle of Jura
11:46z
M0MDA
5MHz
SSB
Mick
11:47z
G0RQL
5MHz
SSB
Don
GW4VPX/p busy
Now looking at the read-out on my FT817 I could see I was running on the internal batteries and not on the LiPo....I unplugged the LiPo and re-inserted the plug back into the 817..no joy.. I was still running on internal batteries and more than likely there was a fault with the connecting lead. Now I had intended to use the linear today so there was another lead in the rucksack..rummage..connect and I was up and running off the battery that was supposed to run the linear.
12:01z
F1REI/P
7MHz
SSB
Frederic s2s
12:14z
EA2CKX
7MHz
SSB
Pedro
12:15z
DL2EF
7MHz
SSB
Franz Josef
12:15z
EB2CZF
7MHz
SSB
Jose
12:17z
DK5X
7MHz
SSB
Contest Station, Germany
12:18z
PA3CDN
7MHz
SSB

12:18z
DJ5AV
7MHz
SSB
Michael
Whilst trying to solve my problems an s2s opportunity arose so a quick call and Frederic F1REI/p on  F/MC-026 (Mont Chamaroux)  was in the log....bingo...thanks Frederick.  I managed to get the phone working by switching it off and then on again.....I seem to recollect that something had not loaded earlier.  A quick change of links as Hans DL/PA3FYG/p on DM/BW-064 (Heersberg- 10 points) was calling....with this one in the log I was more than delighted...thanks Hans.  Before going back on to 40m I decided to plug the 817 (running on internal batteries) directly into the linear and run the linear off  it’s usual battery... it worked with good signal reports.
12:24z
DL/PA3FYG/P
14MHz
SSB
Hans s2s
12:38z
M0IML/M
7MHz
SSB
Barry
12:39z
PC2B
7MHz
SSB
Bert
12:44z
DL6KR
7MHz
SSB
Martin
12:45z
ON2OY
7MHz
SSB
Erik
12:46z
DL5EF
7MHz
SSB
Fabian
12:49z
HB9RDD
7MHz
SSB
Christian
12:50z
OZ2HPI
7MHz
SSB

12:51z
F4BCG
7MHz
SSB

 Wind picking up..Arenig Fawr behind
With my phone now working I sent a text to Mike G6TUH to tell him that I was going back on to 60m to give him a chance of a contact. So with only  3watts at his disposal (non resonant antenna)  for 60m he came booming in for  a 5/7 followed by another run of UK chasers.
12:56z
G6TUH
5MHz
SSB
Mike
13:00z
G4OBK
5MHz
SSB
Phil
13:01z
G8TMV
5MHz
SSB
Colin
13:02z
G7BGA
5MHz
SSB
Geoffrey
13:02z
G0TDM
5MHz
SSB
John
13:04z
GW4CQZ
5MHz
SSB
Martyn
I had been monitoring 2m and quickly jumped at the chance of another s2s....Mike G4BLH/p was on G/SP-014 Longridge Fell...thanks Mike.  Just two more contacts and it was time to go as the sun had disappeared and it was a little colder.
13:24z
G4BLH/P
144MHz
FM
Mike s2s
13:26z
MW3WSC
144MHz
FM
Wil
13:27z
GW4XXF
144MHz
FM
Bruce
 Brightning  up on our way down
When I got home I investigated the lead and found that a soldered joint had probably work hardened due to constant coiling and movement over some 50 activations. I’ve repaired it now and made up another one as a backup. It pays to keep the internal batteries of your FT817 charged up even if you work off an external supply on a summit...belt and braces.
Thanks everyone for the contacts and the s2s
73 Allan GW4VPX

No comments:

Post a Comment