Monday 26 April 2021

GW/SW-001 Pen y Fan

 

GW/SW-001 Pen y Fan

26/04/2021

The summit all to myself…. well not quite

My assumption was right that there wouldn't be too many people around on Pen y Fan (GW/SW-001) today if I got there early. I arrived at the car park and it was more or less empty.

Very quiet car park

My GPS track

On my way

Looking back at the car park and Fan Fawr GW/SW-005 across the valley

PyF straight ahead...Corn Du and Crybin either side

Quiet summit

Just an hour and 5 minutes to reach the summit which was a record for me so fitness levels are returning I hope. With HF bands in such a poor state it was a 2m-fm activation which maybe explains the rapid ascent with no HF gear in the rucksack 😀.

 

My VHF set up.

Good run of chasers

26 in my log with two s2s with John GW4TQE/p and Mal GW6OVD/p. Thanks to Frank MW0OFA for the spot as I couldn't find the time to put one up myself such was the flurry of initial callers. My friend Dave GW4XUE from Carmarthen had called me initially so I answered and asked him to QSY and so did the rest of the chasers.


My Log

Busy now as I prepare to leave the summit

Llyn Cwm Llwch below PyF  and Corn Du


Cribyn, Fan Big and Waun Rydd GW/SW-004 in the distance

 

Towards Ponsticill Reservoir and Cefn yr Ystrad GW/SW-008


My activation set-up

VHF Antenna support – 4m Life’s a Breeze Glass Fibre Fishing pole

(VHF) Yaesu FT2 2m-FM (5watts) into a ‘Slim G

Thanks everyone for the contacts

73 Allan GW4VPX

No comments:

Post a Comment