Monday 3 April 2017

Fan Brycheiniog GW/SW-003

Fan Brycheiniog  GW/SW-003

202/04/2017

The ‘Viki effect’

Just had to get out as the weather man had promised a fine day and Viki M6BWA was creating a bit of SOTA history today.  It was Sunday and  Val was otherwise engaged with organ playing duties in a couple of chapels so I was on my own.
My target today
My route to the summit
Low cloud moving in...soon cleared
Heading up....Llyn y Fan Fawr below
Llyn y Fan Fawr below
I set up next to some bags of stone keeping away from the summit cairn as it would be busy today.  A spot on Sotawatch brought an immediate response from Andy FMF/p on GM/SS-155 Hill of Stake and after a brief chat I carried on calling…no response…the bands were suffering the effects of solar activity.   I was about to move frequency when up pops Victor ONL/p with another s2s from Slemish GI/AH-007..he couldn’t stay to chat has he had a slight antenna mis-match…then silence..I went to change the links.  I also monitored  4m fm early on and gave a few calls as there was supposed to be a contest in progress…nothing heard and no replies to my CQ……ah well.
In the sun and protected from the wind
My 2m handheld burst into life and I heard my callsign,  John XOT/p was out looking for us and he was soon in the log followed very quickly with an s2s with Adrian on GW/MW-001 Plynlimon…thanks both..summit qualified.  These contacts started a bit of a roll with Lee calling in to say he was on his way to a summit and friends and regular chasers calling in for the summit.  I quickly spotted myself on 80m with Don RQL coming back with a 5/5 and Don being 5/9… then a text from from Mike G6TUH in SE saying that he was going back to the garden as the bands were in a terrible state….no contacts after Don…
10:09z
MM0FMF/P
5MHz
SSB
Andy s2s
10:15z
GI4ONL/P
5MHz
SSB
Victor s2s
10:21z
MW0XOT/P
144MHz
FM
John
10:22z
GW4AZS/P
144MHz
FM
Adrian s2s
10:25z
MW6LPU/P
144MHz
FM
Lee
10:30z
MW3DLA
144MHz
FM
Aled
10:32z
2W0DSP
144MHz
FM
Andrew
10:34z
GW7MMG
144MHz
FM
Phil
10:39z
G0RQL
3.5MHz
SSB
Don
10:43z
GW6DGU
144MHz
FM
Roy
10:45z
EI/ON4TA/P
144MHz
FM
Filip s2s
11:03z
MW6BWA/P
144MHz
FM
Viki s2s
11:09z
MW0JLA/P
144MHz
FM
Rod s2s
11:09z
MW6BWA/P
433MHz
FM
Viki s2s diff band
11:14z
MW6LPU/P
144MHz
FM
Lee s2s
11:18z
2E0EFK/P
144MHz
FM
Tom s2s
11:22z
G6GGP/P
144MHz
FM
Paul s2s
12:07z
G7HEM/P
144MHz
FM
Mike s2s
I went back on to 2m and had a qso with my friend  Roy in Cardigan when  a booming s2s call came from Filip ON4TA portable over in EI land…he was soon in the log…thanks Filip.  Viki gave me a quick call to say they would be on Waun Fach GW/SW-002 in 15 minutes.
Viki and Rod were soon in the log with s2s from Waun Fach as was Lee MW6LPU/p who had gone out to catch us from Allt yr Esgair GW/SW-023.  Allt yr Esgair is not an easy VHF summit but Lee managed to qualify with 4 s2s…well done Lee.  
Busy summit...paths have been improved...looks like this is the next project
After calling several times during my stay on the summit I managed to get an s2s with Tom 2E0EFK/p on Ruardean Hill G/WB-021..this was Tom’s first SOTA activation…let’s hope it’s the first of many…thanks Tom.  Then someone called me with a booming  5/9 signal,  a very familiar voice with an unfamiliar callsign?  It was Paul (G4MD) over on Walton Hill using his G6 callsign..…well, we had a long chat :)  
Taken from Fan Foel
I’d been on summit for quite a long time and as I was packing up I was still monitoring 2m and listening to Viki on WaunFach when up pops Mike G7HEM/p for an s2s with her.  I’d heard Mike earlier but never managed to get him in the log.  A quick s2s call and thanks to Viki he was in the log. Another s2s presented itself as Viki asked if I could hear Stuart G0LGS on Cleeve Hill but sadly I couldn’t hear him so I congratulated her once again and headed down hill after going over to Fan Foel for a few summit pics .   I’ll let Viki announce her SOTA achievement……
Very busy down by the lake...on my way down

My activation set up:-  (HF) Elecraft KX2 (10 watts). Battery 4Ah LiPo ,  Antenna 3 band link dipole (60/40/20 (+15m extensions +80m loading coils),  (VHF) Yaesu FT270 (5watts) into a ‘cable tie’ dipole. Wouxon KG699E 4m.  Antenna support - 7m Fishing pole.

Thanks everyone for the contacts

73 Allan GW4VPX

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed your activation,again.was up in Edinburgh to see grand-daughter. Well done and great work. Just as matter of interest, what is the weight of your activation kit? I have put together a kit weighing 11kg. (Just over 12 if you include the fishing pole). 73 Lonan.

    ReplyDelete